Sunday, February 13, 2011

She thinks she missed the train to Mars, she's out back counting stars - Barbecued pork steaks

Today was a day of conflicts. From the moment I opened my eyes in the morning, I had a pounding headache, leaving me feeling like doing a whole lot of nothing. On the other hand, it was unseasonably warm outside and I knew I should want to go out and play, but I just couldn't muster up the enthusiasm. The sun kept shining, however, and it was warmer outside in it than inside the cold house. Furthermore, our shady, south side of the street still remained a frozen tundra despite the fact that our neighbors across the street have been enjoying their early spring. I couldn't think of anything fun I wanted to do so I decided we should tackle chipping the ice off of our front walk. Should have been easy, right? You'd only say that if you live on the sunny side of the street. An hour later we had chiseled out a a measly foot-wide path on the sidewalk and had broken one spade. The pounding and scraping of metal on ice and concrete left my head pounding even worse.

It just seemed wrong to be so warm whilst standing on three inches of ice, but when we were done we were both sweating and feeling a little achy. Again, I knew I should be outdoors enjoying the weather, but I just wanted to curl up and sleep. So I did. But not without getting some pork steaks out of the freezer. Because warm weather means, to me, cooking outside on the gas grill.

I waited (not on purpose, really) until it was dark to turn on the grill and get the pork steaks a-cooking, but it was still ridiculously warm outside. Then I looked up to see that it was an exceptionally clear night and the sky was chock full of highly visible stars.  Orion, my favorite constellation since I was a little kid, was right overhead and his intended prey, Taurus, was just as prominent. The biggest and best surprise was seeing Pleiades, though. The intense little cluster of stars always freaks me out a little, in a  good way. So whether it was the double dose of antihistamines or the stars, I was feeling better.

While I waited for the pork steaks to grill, I stuck a couple of sweet potatoes in the microwave and put some sugar snap peas on the stove to cook. I mashed the potatoes with some butter and they tasted amazingly sweet and rich. We haven't had sweet potatoes much this winter and that was a mistake. So, more sweet potatoes!

I still don't feel great, but a little taste of summer in February is never a bad thing, right?

No comments: