Sunday, February 20, 2011

Give me a drink boy, wash my feet/I'm so tired of running from my own heat - Korean beef

This morning I found a beautiful bundle of rapini (broccoli rabe) at the grocery store today and it got me thinking about dinner. I was craving beef and it was going to be warm enough to grill outside. At the time I started preparing a chuck steak for marinating, I still had no idea of the seasonings I wanted . But I suddenly thought that the flavors of bulgogi (Korean marinated beef) would go perfectly with the rapini. I used a marinade of soy sauce, sugar, ginger, garlic, black pepper and sesame seeds and popped the steak in for hours (actually, I let it thaw in the marinade). A few minutes on the grill and it was perfect.

For the rapini, I heated some oil in a wok pan, added a couple of cloves of garlic, chopped, and then the rapini, which quickly wilted down. Some salt and pepper and 10 minutes or so later and it was done. Because Steve isn't a big fan of the stuff, I served it with big shavings of parmesan to make it more palatable to him. He said it was all right. I, on the other hand, loved it.
 Now I can't remember what made me think of it, but today I woke up wanting to make chocolate souffle for the first time. Turns out I came across the easiest recipe first and stopped looking. Simple ingredients and a not very complicated process. This recipe also lets you make it up to 24 hours in advance and then put it in the fridge till time to bake. To go along with the souffle, I made a vanilla amaretto custard sauce. The chilled sauce was so good on the hot souffle. I feel a souffle flurry coming on...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

OH YUM! That looks fantastic :) I love the blog redesign, too!

Stephanie said...

Beautiful soufflé! Also, did you place the meet directly on the grill or in a pan with the marinade? There seems to be a nice thick coating of the sauce. I think I might poach this for my pork tenderloin.

Stephanie said...

Uhhh...meat? Not sure where that misspelling came from...

Unknown said...

The meat marinated for hours, so it turned the meat a little dark. I think the photo lies a little about the coating - it wasn't a sticky bbq sauce kind of thing even though it sort of looks that way. But the meat was directly on the grill. High heat, short amount of time. :)