Friday, January 23, 2009

Daily Asserveraton - Friday, January 23, 2009

Today was a lovely day. I woke up happy, I had an exceptional chat with my Scottish Correspondent, some amusements on Facebook, and I got a lot of work done on my paintings.

Speaking of Facebook, I got a message there from my old friend Mark, who was once my roommate. When we lived together, one Monday morning he came to my room before I got up and suggested that we take a road trip to Albuquerque, NM. I had to work that week so I wasn't too keen on the idea. But it got under my skin and when my boss got in that morning I asked her if I could leave that day *and* take off the rest of the week. Because she was the best boss in the world, she said yes. I hightailed it home, packed some stuff up, got a pet sitter and Mark and I hit the road in the Fragile Porcelain Mice van.

It was an interesting trip, not always light fun, but I don't regret going. New Mexico was gorgeous (the stars you can see in their night sky was worth the whole trip) and seeing the Acoma cliff dwellings is something I will never forget -- the oldest continually inhabited dwellings in the United States. While we were there, on Route 66, we discovered a tattoo shop and decided to commemorate the trip. On the Acoma reservation, we found a jewelry artist with some fantastic designs. He agreed to sell us a couple of his design drawings and we hastened to the parlor to get inked. Anyway, I had no recollection of keeping the paper design, and making that's because I didn't. In Mark's email, he attached a scan of the design. Apparently he had had it all this time. It was nice to see the design with all its sharp lines and designs -- it's gotten a little blurry over the last 15 years.

No comments: