Monday, June 25, 2007

What a difference a day (or two) makes

Yesterday was my first shift at my temporary (until October) work home and I was nervous, of course. The store (open only for its fifth day) was super busy inside and on the drive through. The manager barely had time to say anything other than "Hi! Can you bar for me?" and for the next hour and a half I didn't stop making drinks for more than a minute or two at a time. The store manager was totally supportive and encouraging, telling me how glad she was to have me and how great I was doing. Whew, it was nice not to be the 'new moron' any more. Best of all, most everyone else working thought I was a veteran and even deferred to me a few times about how to make stuff! So, all my stress about doing things right and all my sleepness night hours worrying about how many shots and pumps the various drinks have has paid off. This is such a weight off my shoulders. I suppose I have to thank my coaches who hovered, making sure I was doing things right, no matter how much it bugged me while it was happening.

Of course, I don't get to rest on my [meager] laurels for long. Tomorrow I start training to be a shift manager and once again I'm at the bottom of the learning curve.

1 comment:

Allison said...

Ah, sweet, sweet worry. What would we do without it?