Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Homemade Butterfingers? Why yes, thank you!

The lair of consumerism and bad-for-you-but-so-good recipes that is Pinterest offered me something yesterday I could not deny: a recipe for homemade Butterfinger candy bars. Not only that, but a recipe that had only three ingredients, which are candy corn (yes, you read that right), peanut butter and chocolate (the original recipe called for chocolate candy coating).
Specifically you need 16 ounces of candy corn, 16 ounces of peanut butter and at least 12 ounces of chocolate for coating.  Start by melting the candy corn in the microwave (1 minute first and then in 15 second intervals until completely melted), add the peanut butter and mix thoroughly. Push the mixture (it will be stiff) into a parchment lined pan (I used a pan that's around 11x7) and let it cool. I made the mistake of putting mine into the refrigerator and that definitely made it too stiff to cut, so just let it cool to room temperature. When cool, cut into the size bars you'd like for your finished product.

The bars are supposed to then be dipped into chocolate and set on wax paper to harden. As you can see in the photo (besides the fact that I had to take a bite before I took the photo - oops!), the chocolate portion of the candy bar didn't work out as it should have, though the taste is the same. Because I was too lazy to use a double boil method and used the microwave to melt my chocolate instead, it seized up and wouldn't liquefy. I ended up having to add a little butter and some heavy cream, but still had to just sort of ice the top of the bars. This is a case where the recipe's called for chocolate coating would have been fool proof. Still, while these look a little messy, they taste great.

While you don't get the crispiness of a Butterfinger (which is actually my least favorite part of a Butterfinger), you do get that flaky, layered thing they have. Don't ask me how the combination of candy corn and peanut butter gets your there, but it does!

No comments: