Friday, September 23, 2011

Friday Night Spicy Peanut Noodles

 I was roaming around Target this afternoon when it struck me that I needed spicy peanut noodles, and pronto. Since they had them, I bought a package of whole wheat thin spaghetti. I've steered clear of the whole wheat stuff for some time; last time I bought it (which was, admittedly, a few years ago) it wasn't good. Way too heavy and with too much texture. Obviously the manufacturing process has been quite refined as it was hard to even tell these were different than regular pasta.

I always wing the sauce and this time it went as follows: Big glob of peanut butter, a splash of white wine vinegar, a couple splashes of low-sodium soy sauce, a couple shakes of fish sauce, a big squirt of sriracha, a few glugs of chili-garlic sauce, a shake of cayenne, and some warm water to thin it all out. I wanted a couple of extra things this time round, so I thawed a cup of frozen peas and sliced the green part of two scallions. For extra protein, I wanted to add tofu, but I didn't want it to be soft and white. To that end I heated some canola oil in a frying pan and let it get quite hot while I sliced a block of firm tofu into several slabs. I let the pieces fry for some time, turning frequently, until both sides of each piece were browned and crisp. Once they cooled, I sliced them up and added to the noodle and sauce mixture.

Peanutty goodness.

No comments: