Monday, May 2, 2011

Meatless Monday - White pizza and pork steaks

I  knew several days ago what I wanted for Meatless Monday this week; a repeat of the ricotta and roasted tomato pizza we had a few weeks ago. I strongly encourage you to, if you have any inclination to cook at all, make this pizza. It's incredibly simple (remember, you can use a pre-made crust, or a refrigerated Pillsbury crust, a box mix or whatever kind you'd like and is easiest for you) and seriously delicious. All you have to do is thickly slice a couple, three, roma tomatoes and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350F, drizzle the slices with olive oil and sprinkle with sea or kosher salt, reduce the oven temp to 300F and roast for  45 minutes to an hour. You want some browning/caramelization on the slices. In the meantime, prepare your crust (even if that just means popping open a can), spread about a tablespoon and a half of olive oil around the crust, then top with about 2/3 of a container of ricotta (I guiltily used the whole milk variety because the richness tastes so damn good), spread evenly across the crust. Top with 8 oz. or so of mozzarella or a pizza cheese blend. I also sprinkled with a bit of an Italian herb blend, for a little extra flavor. Bake at 425F until the top is slightly browned and bubbly. Really, do this. And oh yes, for a little extra ooomph, after baking I scattered some rocket leaves on top. I'm still getting a little thrill from growing this stuff from seed. My food gardening exploits are usually big fails, so it's exciting to be eating stuff I grew!
Last night was all about monster pork steaks. I marinated them for hours in coriander ale along with spicy steak seasoning. I'm not completely certain you can really taste the difference when pork steaks are marinated, but they did seem to cook better on the grill. Alongside I sauteed then steamed some onion, broccoli and carrots with a little garlic and soy sauce.
A very meaty Sunday, necessitating today's meatless Monday.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Coriander ale is a surprise choice :)There is a witte beer here that has coriander amongst other flavors that I actually had a few drinks of...

Unknown said...

I admit to buying the ale because it has the most beautiful green and brown label. :) And, remember, I don't mind coriander at all (meant in the American way, of course). It's the evil weed that grows from it that I object to...