Friday, April 29, 2011

We were talking/about the love we all could share/when we find it/To try our best to hold it there/with our love - Tacos and grilled chicken

I don't have a lot to say about these last two meals, really. Earlier this week I had no idea what I wanted to make for dinner and I started thinking about what was in the freezer, in the pantry, and in the refrigerator. I realized I could make tacos, albeit with French lentils rather than any other beans. So, I browned some ground beef with chili powder. When it was cooked, I added about a tablespoon of masa and little bit of water to make a thick sauce around the meat. Because I was feeling lazy, even about assembling the tacos, I mixed the cooked lentils into the beef. We had soft flour tortillas, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sour cream, grated sharp cheddar, and homemade salsa verde. They were pretty satisfying.
On another day, I didn't have an overt cravings, but the Boy was headed to the grocery store so I looked up the Schnucks add online and saw that whole chickens, cut up, were on sale for a very charming 99 cents a pound. As it was finally a nice day, weatherwise, it had to be grilled chicken, and unlike usual, I wanted it slathered in barbecue sauce. The Boy has an aversion to getting his hands messy while eating, but sometimes I just make him deal with it. I also made a quick potato salad (steamed red potatoes, diced onion, celery, mayo, salt and pepper) and grilled some corn on the cob. Really, there's nothing like barbecued chicken. Sticky and delicious.

No comments: