Monday, April 4, 2011

Meatless Monday - Portobello burgers, sweet potato fries and mushroom tortellini salad

In a rare turn of events, the Boy actually made a specific request for Meatless Monday. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but he very seldom has anything one would remotely call a craving, so I am always happy to indulge it when it happens. He wanted portobello burgers, so that's what he got today. As usual, I marinated the mushrooms in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce and grill spices for an hour or so before cooking on the indoor grill. I served them on whole wheat thin buns with mayo, Swiss cheese and fresh spinach.
For the sides, I made baked sweet potato fries - peel, slice, toss with oil, salt and pepper, bake at 450F for about 25-30 minutes. That's it! Today I found some Italian dried mushroom tortellini and visions of pasta salad danced in my head. I thawed some frozen peas, cut us grape tomatoes, and made a dressing of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic and fresh parsley. Before chilling for a bit, I tossed everything with a palmful of grated parmesan.

If only I could get the Boy to be more aware of his cravings.

1 comment:

hh said...

Wow...Emotional Rescue & Meatless Monday! Both rocked!