Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Moroccan Vegetable Stew (Vegetarian) and Creamy Potato with Bacon

I'm a little late this week, due a bit to indecision and a few other factors. As is often the case, I couldn't make a decision so I'm offering two completely different soups this week. First, I'm revisiting a favorite I've made many times over the years. I started making Moroccan Vegetable Stew as a vegetarian alternative at Christmas dinner with my family. It's a hearty, thick stew, served over couscous. I begin this soup with an onion and garlicky base, add chunky tomatoes, yellow squash, zucchini, green beans, sweet peppers, and possibly more vegetables, depending on what looks good at the market. And the best part of this stew, to my mind, is the ample helping of plump chick peas (garbanzos) adding their creamy, nutty flavor. Spicing of this stew will include touches of cumin, turmeric, a little red pepper and paprika for heat, and the warm and slight sweetness of cinnamon.

The Creamy Potato Soup with Bacon is a hearty bowl of soup with simple, but flavorful ingredients. Potatoes, onions, garlic, butter, milk, and BACON, plus a nice sprinkling of black pepper for heat. And there's bacon! It's thick, rich, and will warm you up and fill you up!

To go with both of these soups, I'm baking a traditional Moroccan bread called khobz. It's slightly flat, round loaf which I will be making with white and wheat flours, with a little sprinkling of sesame and anise seeds throughout the loaf. I think those flavors will complement both soups perfectly!

Prices

Soup:       1 quart/$8      2 quarts/$15      3 quarts/$22      4 quarts/$28

Loaves:   $3/each

To order you can email me directly at: cattmkitchen@gmail.com or clp772@gmail.com. Also, sign up here to get my weekly newsletter: http://tinyletter.com/tinymontgomery

I can deliver to City addresses and the inner ring suburbs, though if you are further out, we can surely arrange some sort of meet-up. Pickup is always an option as well! 

No comments: