Saturday, February 11, 2012

Tom Kha Gai (Thai Chicken Coconut Soup) and Chunky Tomato Tortellini

I have a hankering for the scents and flavors of Thai soup; the sweet, salty, and sour flavor of Tom Kha Gai full of creamy coconut milk, rich chicken broth redolent with lemongrass, kaffir lime, galanga, and fish sauce. To that delicious base, add tender chicken, sliced mushrooms, some chopped tomatoes, and a few slices of sweet red and spicy hot peppers. To make it a meal, I mix in a big dollop of fragrant jasmine rice. Tom Kha Gai is the Thai equivalent of chicken noodle soup - comforting, nourishing, and guaranteed to make you feel good.

I had toyed with the idea of a loaded potato soup this week (I promise it will be coming up soon!), but what looked good at the market demanded otherwise. To that end, my vegetarian option this week will be a Chunky Tomato Tortellini soup. I will start with a tomato base, full of garlicky goodness, and load it with chopped, fresh tomatoes and plump filled pasta. A hint a parmesan cheese and basil will round everything out. This soup practically demands a grilled cheese sandwich alongside!

This week's bread selection is small rustic boules again, crusty and dense (and excellent for making little cheese paninis)!

Soup is priced as follows (as always you can mix and match!): 

1 quart/$8     2 quarts/$15      3 quarts/$22     4 quarts/$28

Bread    $3.50

To order, email me: cattmkitchen@gmail.com 
or clp772@gmail.com. Delivery/pickup will be towards the end of the week. You can also message me on Facebook! 

A variation of Tom Kha Gai I've made recently, just to give you an idea.

Chunky tomato tortellini

No comments: