Monday, March 28, 2011

Add some butter and some milk, it goes down as smooth as silk/It's ma-acaroni and cheese - Mac and cheese

It's Meatless Monday and today I was thinking of a creamy macaroni and cheese more than anything else. I also knew I had Swiss cheese so I thought I'd go with that. I made a simple bechamel and added a little nutmeg, salt, pepper and cayenne, tossed in the cheese and finally mixed in the macaroni and edamame (for a little added protein). I toasted some panko bread crumbs in some butter and garlic and topped the pasta before putting it into the oven to brown. In retrospect, I wish I would have remembered to add a little pinch of dry mustard to the bechamel to give it a bit more of a kick.

For a salad I combined baby spinach, baby red romaine, sliced carrots, Granny Smith apple chunks and walnuts with a poppyseed dressing.

No comments: