Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Please please don't eat the daisies; don't eat the daisies, please, please

Who is sick of hearing about my roller coaster work life? You? And you over there? Well, that about covers all my readers, so I'll include myself too. The good news is that I'm not going to bitch and moan. I think that from here on in, things are going to be [mostly] smooth sailing. I've expressed my worries to my boss, she was perfectly great and I feel sooooo relieved. So for now, things are good!

On the project front, I have several cement leaves done to the first stage. I still need to paint them, which is, of course, the hardest part (well, the hardest part to making them look good anyway), and then seal them with something. But I thought I'd post a photo of the leaf bowls/plates in their raw, cement state. The top row is: hydrangea, black-eyed susan, morning glory, morning glory, hosta. Bottom row is : hosta, canna.


I think my favorite is the hosta leaf, there in the center. Here's a closer view:


I do love the big canna leaf plate too, but it has a big crack, damn it. I have to figure out how to avoid the cracking...

I think I'm going to paint them with metallic paint, in not particularly natural leaf colors. Or not.

4 comments:

Allison said...

How cool would it be to make them food-safe and use as a appetizer platter?!
Hmmm....

Unknown said...

That is my intention! I have to figure out what a food safe sealer would be...a water-based poly something or other?

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of eating food off of banana leaves in India! Love them! Hope the paint experiment goes well.

Unknown said...

I actually prowled around TG Park trying to score a banana leaf to use. Unfortunately, they did not plant the banana trees this year. Drat!