Wednesday, March 25, 2009

What's for tea, love?

Since I was so negligent about photographing dinner lately, I've made an effort to snap a quick photo before digging in the last couple of nights.

Last night I didn't feel like cooking at all, but it was getting late and I knew I had a package of fresh chorizo in the refrigerator and still a lot of those tostadas. So I went the very, very easy route and cooked up the chorizo, heated refried beans, chopped up some lettuce and dinner was nearly ready. I smeared some beans on the tostadas, added some shredded cheddar, spooned onthe chorizo and topped with lettuce and salsa. Start to finish, cooking this meal took about 25 minutes tops.


Today I wasn't really thinking about what I was going to make for dinner. However, I knew that I wanted to use up the feta I bought the other day. I started to take inventory of the ingredients I had on hand and decided to make a pie with phyllo dough sheets, broccoli, feta, and mushrooms. When I got the frozen phyllo out, I saw the leftover raw shrimp and pulled that out too.

The pie went together easily: several layers of phyllo sheets, then the broccoli mixture (chopped raw broccoli, feta, two eggs, salt, pepper and garlic), then a few more layers of phyllo on top. For the shrimp, I let it marinate in garlic olive oil seasoned with oregano, paprika and red pepper flakes. The broccoli worked better than I would have imagined as this is usually a dish made with spinach.


Today at work I heard birds chitter chattering and I looked up to see a house finch feeding his potential mate just a couple feet above me. It was sweet and cute and a privilege to see. A few seconds later they went flying off together in that flirty, playful way birds do this time of year. I really like my job a lot and the fact that I get to bird watch at the same time only makes it better.

No comments: