Tuesday, October 7, 2008

And if I haver yeah I know I'm gonna be/I'm gonna be the man who's havering to you

Today was all about birdies and bridies. Today I was finally inspired to get out the wool and start needlefelting again. Actually, I wasn't inspired so much as goaded into being productive rather than just lazing another day away. While I think I still deserve some resting time, not everyone agrees with that. Perhaps I needed a fire lit under my ass.

I also came up with a new business idea, prompted by a conversation with my Scottish Correspondent. I'm not going to talk about that yet, though.

So birdies: I've sold every needlefelted bird I've ever made so I figured I would start with making some of them again. Actually, today I started with a multi-petal flower brooch, but I'm not really that happy with how it turned out. It's not how I envisioned it; I'll keep experimenting with that one. I'm happy, however, with the birds.



While looking up Scottish recipes, I came across something called Forfar Bridies. I wanted to make Forfar Bridies before I even know what a Forfar Bridie was. Thank goodness a bridie is nothing like, say, haggis (which also seemed a possibility until I actually read a recipe and found out it's made with beef heart -- no thank you -- I'd eat it, but I'm not cooking a beef heart), but is really just a fairly simply little meat turnover. I had also come across a recipe for champ, a name which doesn't really evoke anything, particularly not the fact that champ is basically mashed potatoes with onions in them. Traditionally I think it's supposed to be green onions, but I caramelized a vidalia and also added some regular and garlic chives to give it that nice green color accent. I used store bought pastry for the bridies but despite that they turned out really well. And they tasted amazing and looked really good.



These turned out a trifle more rustic looking than I'd like, but I'm generally happy.

Stayed tuned!

No comments: