Sunday, September 4, 2011

Now, cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good/When the weather breaks, mama, you got to move

I woke up Sunday to beautiful, cool weather, and even overcast skies. After weeks of relentless sun and heat and humidity, it was like being reborn. As we were driving around doing errands, I remarked to the Boy that it was a whole new world. A prettier, happier world that doesn't try to kill you with bright, burning sun!

As soon as I knew the weather would finally be turning on Sunday, I started plotting to get the Boy to sit outside with me around the firepit. It really didn't take much plotting, just the promise of alcohol and food. He's easy. And he looks pretty relaxed.
And yes, Foxy Brown's back end is shaved. She's been biting and chewing and her fur is so thick back there, plus she had gotten some matted hunks, that I wanted to just get it off her. Sadly we discovered that she has a nasty case of fleas and she's still mad at us for the whole shaving/flea spraying ordeal.

Our appetizer was crusty bread dipped in a bowl of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Simple and delicious.
Though I suppose we should have enjoyed the quiet of the outdoors (such as that is in the City - what was with the firecrackers on Labor Day weekend???), we had music to entertain and possibly annoy the neighbors. The hipster boys a couple of houses over spent most of their day outside, but soon after we turned on music, they all retreated indoors. Related? My J. C. Chasez to Interpol segue too much for you boys? The sound system was comprised of my laptop and my Virgin Boomtube. I love that thing.
I marinated boneless, skinless chicken thighs in teriyaki sauce (low sodium soy sauce, water, brown sugar, crystallized ginger, garlic and siracha), and skewered mushrooms, zucchini and onion on bamboo sticks. And even though it didn't go with the theme, I was craving macaroni and cheese, which I made using our old family recipe (which means with Velveeta, milk and butter).
I'm still smelling smoke, but it's worth it


No comments: