Monday, January 12, 2009

You’re reading my thoughts/Dreams old men dream/It’s just like when we were kids/We’d lay around wondering/We try to listen to what they said

Today is the day that I decree that I will write an entry, even if it's small, every day about something that makes me happy. This doesn't mean there won't also be the usual moaning and whining entries. I mean, come on, I'm human. And since I've gone days and days without writing anything, this one may just have several things.

A week ago today, water got spilled on my beloved laptop, my machine-child (or maybe machine-lover is more appropriate) as I like to call it. After sputtering for a few seconds, the screen went black and a giant lump formed in my gut. I took the battery out and removed the keyboard and I swear there wasn't more than about three drops that I could see. Needless to say, it was enough to, at least so far, render my hard drive useless and irretrievable. I spent a lot of the next two days crying, mourning the loss of all my photos and Photoshop files and everything else I had neglected to ever (yes, you heard me) back up. Yes, I learned my lesson and I now have an online back up service. And the thing to be happy about in this tragedy? Roy Kasten. The man who created my beloved laptop did everything he could to save it and still even holds out a bit of hope for recovering the data on that hard drive. In the meantime, I have a new bigger and faster hard drive and that can't be a bad thing.

Something else that made me happy is this loaf of cranberry-walnut beer bread. It was really good and it looks so pretty!


I'm happy to have seen pictures of Jennifer Tretter's ginger cat BitBit. Look at that face!


On Saturday Steve and I DJed at the Atomic Cowboy. While I neglected to take photos while our friends were there (thanks for coming Roy and Dana, Amy and Sebastian, Michael and Alex!), I did take some blurry, glowy inside photos of the place. I love the mid-century modern look of the lounge area of Atomic cowboy. It's a comfy space.

That's Steve there at the bar...


And here we are getting ready to leave the house.

I'm happy that by some miracle I can look at photos of myself and...well, and nothing. I'm happy I can look at photos of myself and be, dare I say it, happy with what looks back at me. Now, I don't think I've gotten any better looking, but something inside me has shifted and there is some new acceptance that I haven't had in a long time, if ever. So, yay!

3 comments:

Allison said...

You're a hot mama, just admit it!

Unknown said...

I'm okay. That's as far as I'll go. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh sure. The others get links. Alex and I just get text. :-P