Saturday, June 23, 2007

And it doesn’t really matter if I’m wrong I’m right/Where I belong I’m right/Where I belong


Two things worth noting today (I actually first typed "Two things worth nothing today" -- Freudian slip? ).

First, I was certified as an official barista yesterday so all espresso drinks I serve are now for reals. Ha! to all you suckers who got my "trainee" drinks. I also found out that I will be moving to a University City location until my store is built and open (which will not be until October, unfortunately). I can live with this, particularly since this UCity store just opened a couple days ago -- I won't be much newer than anyone else and I'm not coming in as a trainee, thank goodness. So no hazing by passive-agressive co-workers and I'm staying long enough for people to bother to get to know me. If you're in the area and need some caffeine, come see me at the intersection of North & South and Delmar sometime!

Second, I got an email yesterday from Subterranean Books telling me what I've sold there so far. I put some items on consignment after the last Rock & Roll Craft Show and hadn't really thought much more of it. It's my only retail location but I kind of neglected what I was doing there. Anyway, it turns out I've sold about $115 worth of stuff which netted me around $70. The coolest thing is that Kelly, who masterminds the indie crafts there (plus much else, I'm thinking) told me that out of town bands wandering down Delmar from the Pageant have bought a bunch of my paper cut-out guitar cards. How incredibly cool is that? I totally thought musicians would like them, but they hadn't gone over that great at the fairs.


My point is that, well, a little encouragement (in the form of people actually buying my stuff) goes a long way towards making me feel like I should keep this business up. Not that I don't get emotional satisfaction from creating things, because I certainly do, but I kind of need the financial reward in order to keep sinking a lot of time and effort into the process. So, I'm not done yet.

1 comment:

Allison said...

Money is really the great encourager. That, and alcohol....
"Ah, beer...the cause and solution of all of life's problems"-Homer J. Simpson.