Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Gypsy Soup

It's been rather warm the last few days, but I suspect by the weekend and early next week it will start feeling a bit more seasonal again. To that end, you will need soup! Staying on the vegetarian/vegan/gluten-free track, I'm offering my take on the Moosewood Cookbook classic, Gypsy Soup. I've made my own tweaks to their recipe, and this is one hearty soup that is full of things super good for you.  A rich vegetable broth will form the base, supplemented by a combo of winter squash and sweet potatoes, a touch of tomatoes, green peppers, chickpeas and more, depending on what looks good at the market. The soup is made even more savory by the use of some Indian-style spices for an ever-so-slight heat, and lots of complex flavors. This is one of my very favorite soups and I know you will feel satisfied after a steaming bowl. It will also freeze well if you'd like extras!

To accompany the soup, I'm making mini loaves of beer bread (approximately 3"x5.5") with a touch of walnuts and dried cranberries. Each loaf is enough for two people to each have a chunk of bread, but feel free to order more than one!

This week I would like to get soup delivered/picked up on Friday, Saturday at the latest, so I'm asking that orders be placed by Wednesday evening (and you know I always let you sneak under the wire, but why wait?). As usual, anyone can pick up, and delivery to the inner ring  is available. To order, just email me: cattmkitchen@gmail.com or clp772@gmail.com.


Soup is priced as follows:
1 quart/$8   2 quarts/$15   3 quarts/$22   4 quarts/$28

Beer Bread loaves are $2.50/each

As always, I accept charge, cash, check, and Paypal. I'm looking forward to making you some soup! I missed everybody these last couple weeks!

No comments: