Thursday, May 5, 2011

How, can he tell her he loves her/He, would just give his heart gladly - Steak and yellow rice


I didn't make any preparations for a Cinco de Mayo dinner (honestly, I didn't even think of it all day), but after I got a piece of sirloin out of the freezer to thaw, I eventually came around to making a yellow rice with corn and alcaparrado (pretty much my favorite briny product of all time). In the midst of making a salad, I came across a big poblano pepper that looked ripe for the grilling (along with some sweet onion).

I love yellow rice and I was a little distressed that I only had risotto rice, but I decided to use it anyway, albeit without the risotto-making process. I heated some olive oil and added a little chunk of achiote and cooked it a bit until it mostly dissolved and turned the oil bright orange yellow. I added the rice and thoroughly coated it with the oil, then chucked in some frozen corn before adding water about two fingers above the surface of the rice (a trick learned from Daisy Martinez) along with some salt. I turned the heat to medium low, put on the lid and left it alone for about 15 minutes. At that point it was almost done; I added a couple of heaping spoonfuls of alcaparrado, put the lid back on and let it cook for another 5 minutes or so.

The steak was simple, as usual; I sprinkled it with Durkee beef seasoning and stuck in in the new grill. Sadly I overcooked it a bit, but it still tasted nice. Just not as nice as it could have, though the addition of grilled poblano and onion on top was a nice touch.

No comments: