Thursday, March 19, 2009

I met her in a club down in old soho/Where you drink champagne and it tastes just like Coca-Cola/C-o-l-a cola

Today I set off on a mission. Lest you think it was something heroic or of service to humanity or anything good like that, let me disabuse you of that notion. It was a mission of purely consumerist greed and desire.

I rarely drink soda (pop, Coke, whatever you want to call it), but when I do, I'm usually disappointed in it. It just doesn't seem the same as when I was a kid. Now, in all honesty, I do generally pick a diet version, but in the even rarer cases when I pick the non-diet version, it's always Coca-Cola, never Pepsi. There has been some discussion amongst friends lately about the goodness of old fashioned, pure cane sugar Coke. American Coke these days is made with high fructose corn syrup and apparently changes that delightfully sharp "burn" of the Coke I remember from my younger days. You know, that burn that used to make you gasp after taking a big gulp of cold soda. Mexican Coca-Cola is still made with sugar and there is also a kosher version that becomes available in St. Louis this time of year. Suddenly, I could think of nothing about that first delicious gulp of sharp, ice cold, old fashioned Coke.

Then this morning, out of desperation, I tore open one of my free packets of the new instant coffee from Big Espresso (why am I still calling it that? I don't work there anymore...) and had a cup. It was not bad at all. Actually it was quite good. I am not a coffee snob, and in fact, I haven't been drinking much of it at all lately anyway, so I thought I would do a little research on instant coffee. I already knew I would never buy the B.E. stuff because I am entirely too cheap to spend the kind of coin I'm sure it costs. (I read something about it equalling $1 a cup - you've got to be fucking kidding me. It's instant coffee Howard.) My bit of research revealed that the Latin version of Nescafe instant coffee was not only serviceable, but actually tasty.

So, two reasons to stop at Jay's on South Grand and the Supermercado on Cherokee. At Jay's I found the Nescafe Classico instant coffee easy. I so often go on wild chases for odd items that it's super satisfying to actually find what I'm looking for so easily. At the check out (after picking up some of that superb fresh feta they carry, some fresh Chinese noodles and some vegetables) I spotted that elusive target of mine from months and months ago: the Kinder Egg! Woo hoo! I snatched two of them, though I wanted to grab the whole display.

Onward to the Supermercado, where I quickly found the lusted after Cokes, in the cool old glass bottles. At $1.50 each, they aren't cheap (but hey, way less than the $2.95 online price) but I had to grab a couple just to see. Along with some Mexican dried pasta, refried beans and crispy tortillas I was one happy shopper. I was a little disappointed that I wasn't handed a giant bottle of Jarritos mandarin soda, which happened the last time I shopped there. I still have no idea why I got that bottle.

Back home, I made myself a cup of the Nescafe and was pleasantly surprised. I do not particularly like stomach-rotting strong coffee, so I'm happy with a mild coffee taste and the ease of preparation is totally worth it. I think instant coffee is much more common in other parts of the world than it is here. I had it in London at our friend's flat every morning and I've heard it is more common there. Since it's even easier than a cup of tea, I might be back on the bean. Plus, I've already noticed my teeth getting stained from the tea after just a few weeks of one damn cup a day.

To go with my steaming cup of Nescafe, I popped open one of the eggs, having no idea what to expect. I don't think these are the standard eggs, but I don't care. I love them.

The egg, the anticipation.


Hmmmm, not what I expected...interesting.


The toy, before assembly. Like a little pile of toy bones!


The finished toy - a cute little robot creature!


In other news, the job is going great. I quite love it, I think, though perhaps that will be tempered when the days are longer and the weather is less gorgeous. I dunno. In the meantime, I feel energetic and happy and productive. I love being around plants and flowers all day, not to mention the sun shining and the birds singing. I really couldn't ask for more.

No comments: