Thursday, December 11, 2008

All mixed up in the wash/hot water bleeding our colors

In the medium wee hours of the morning today I half woke up; it was night time dark outside and I was lying on my back. Mr. Baby was snuggled into the crook of my arm and he was extra cuddly and, apparently, had picked up some song writing skills. Yes, I was in one of those weird half asleep, half awake states where you are certain everything is really happening.

In this case, Mr. Baby and I were writing a song to go on the current release by the Cold War Kids Loyalty to Loyalty. Now, I have been obsessed with this record for the last couple of weeks, listening to little else, so I assume my repeated listenings during the the week was the catalyst.

If I remember correctly, Mr. Baby was helping with lyrics and he was singing, all while letting me pet his ears. I love the dream state that allowed me to happily accept that the ginger cat curled up next to me in bed was writing and singing a Cold War Kids song with me.

I've been dreaming a lot lately, more than I have in months. Not coincidentally, I've been sleeping a lot better, rarely waking up in the middle of the night (and last night wasn't an exception as I think it's pretty safe to say I wasn't really awake when I thought I was) and sleeping until after 7:00am every day. Don't feel sorry for me, late sleepers; previous to this I was waking every morning anywhere from 4:30am-6:00am and was unable to go back to sleep. Now I'm sleeping at least seven hours (seven hours!) and dreaming I'm starring on a TV show, hanging out with Madonna, encountering a whole caboodle of bloody mayhem (thanks "Fringe...) and writing and singing songs with my boy cat.

I wonder if the L-Theanine (which I'm still calling a brilliant and very good thing) has anything to do with the crazy dreams? I wonder if it's also responsible for my happy, but unproductive state? I have managed to regain a little ground on the creative front, successfully completing a few Christmas gift projects. Apparently a weekend full moon is supposed to be causing some explosion of inspiration and productivity. We shall see.

No comments: