Thursday, May 31, 2007

What Was for Dinner

I suppose I need to keep my camera in the kitchen as I have forgotten lately to photograph our dinners. I'm thinking about eating said dinners by the time they are cooked, not photographing them. I even thought last night, as I took the focaccia out of the oven, that I should take a picture of it because it was so pretty. But I was intoxicated by the aromas and completely forgot. So, today's picture doesn't show it in its full, uncut glory, but you get the idea. I had defrosted some white beans with smoked ham that I had cooked a couple weeks ago and focaccia seemed like an ideal accompaniment. When I thought of making the bread, I envisioned it with carmelized onions, something I've never been able to successfully do. I was resolved this time, though, and I used an iron skillet which might have been key. Or not. It's still somewhat of a mystery to me. Anyway, I couldn't resist taking a taste or two of the onions and they were indeed sweet and savory, but I thought they were missing something so I ran outside and snipped some rosemary. I love rosemary in small doses and the match up of it and the sweet onions was just perfect. A drizzle of olive oil, some parmesan and a little mozzarella and we were good to go.


Today I filled out all my new employee paperwork. My first day is on Monday, though that will be 'back of the store' training, as will the next couple of days. I will start my actual store training later in the week at the downtown location of the store, a location I have spent many a morning in line. Funny that I will most likely be waiting on former co-workers. Weird. Once my training is done, I'll be in the Central West End and I'm very excited about that. Rather than reveal my actual employer, let's just say that in my work day I will be able to say, a la Lauren Graham, "I'm making coffee!"

2 comments:

Amy Rozeboom said...

I just managed to learn how to caramlize myself recently. The secret is that it takes forever...

I used 3 mid-sized vidalia onions the other day and it took 45 minutes on a medium heat to get them done to what I could call caramalized.

Unknown said...

Yeah, I was finally patient and it took at least 45 minutes for just one onion. And I used a cast iron pan for the first time, which seemed to help keep a consistently hot, but still low enough temperature.