Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Black Bean and Sweet Potato/Split Pea with Ham/Madeleines

This week I will bring back the Black Bean and Sweet Potato  stew I made earlier this season. I plan on loading it full of vegetables including carrots, celery, onions, garlic (lots of garlic!), a variety of peppers, a splash of tomatoes, and for a bit of sweetness as a counterpoint to the savory spice, bite-sized chunks of sweet potatoes. I want to keep it vegetarian, so I will add homemade soy chorizo to round out the flavors. This is a hearty and filling bowl that you can eat as is; but if you want, it would be delicious served over your favorite grain like brown rice, quinoa, or couscous.
Inline image 1
The second soup this week is Split Pea with Ham and Barley. You'll get the creamy pea soup along with barley and a bit of potato for heartiness. Carrots, celery, onions, plus herbs and spices round out the rich flavor, along with smoky salty ham.
Inline image 2
Both of these soups freeze well!

My sweet tooth is a bit out of control so all I can think of is a dessert this week. And mini-madeleines it shall be! Dark chocolate or white chocolate dipped if you so desire, plain if you don't! FYI, madeleines are a buttery French cake-like cookie with a hint of lemon baked in a shell-shaped mold (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madeleine_(cake) ).
Inline image 3
Soup
1 quart/$8     2 quarts/$15     3 quarts/$22     4 quarts/$28

Cookies
$5/doz (I can mix and match plain and choco dipped!)

Since I'm starting a bit late this week, I have shorter turnaround time. Please get your order to me by 10:00 a.m. on Thursday. Pick up/delivery should be by Friday afternoon and into the weekend. As always, I accept cash, check, credit, and Paypal. Please email your orders to: cattmkitchen@gmail.com or clp772@gmail.com. You can also message me on Facebook!

No comments: