Saturday, April 14, 2012

Empanadas!

I have mentioned my short attention span as it relates to cooking, right? By that I mean I get bored doing the same thing over and over, even if the "same" thing is really quite different from week to week. I guess I just don't like to be tied down. So that means this week I am cooking neither soup nor salad. I made some empanadas for dinner last night and they turned out so nicely that I thought they would be an excellent idea for this week's TMKitchen offering.

I will be making a few different types and all of them will include cheese or I can exclude it (which would make some of them technically vegan - and by that I mean only that they will contain no dairy and no meat).

Spicy potato (which went over quite well at the Rock n Roll Craft Show this year)
Black bean picadillo
Shrimp
Steak

Expect chilies, salsa, and the usual Latin flavors in each empanada (and yeah, I'm being a little vague because I don't quite know yet - but I promise they will all be delicious!).

In addition, I think a Mayan-style chocolate empanada is also a good idea.

To reheat, just wrap them in foil (but don't mix the savory and sweet in one foil packet!) and put in a 350F oven for about 10-15 minutes. Of course they would also work in a toaster oven or [very carefully] in a microwave. You can also freeze them for later!

Here's what you need to know:

$2/each (minimum of four, no maximum!) - Mix and match any of the varieties but be specific about whether you want cheese (melty white cheese and/or queso fresco depending on flavor).

I'm taking orders until at least noon on Sunday. The sooner you let me know, the better, please! Email me at cattmkitchen@gmail.com or clp772@gmail.com!


No comments: