Thursday, July 7, 2011

Goes and shows up with/More bowls and more/Cups and the riot for the/Last hot meal erupts - Vegetable Tostadas

Maybe because it's summer and there are actual ripe tomatoes around, I keep craving things piled on corn tortillas. Today at the grocery store I saw mushrooms on sale and immediately jumped to a vegetable tostada night. I know mushrooms don't seem to immediately scream "Mexican food!" but I thought that they would add a nice texture to the dish.

First task when I got home was to put about half a pound of pinto beans into the pressure cooker. Have I said how much I love my pressure cooker? Even if I use it for nothing but beans and brown rice, it is still beloved and invaluable. I do have to confess that I have no idea how long I cooked them; at one point I had been upstairs showering and on my way back down I suddenly smelled beans and rushed to turn off the fire. Luckily they were just right, particularly for my purposes.

I also bought a packet of Mrs. Wages All-Natural Salsa mix, intended to be mixed with chopped fresh tomato or canned petite diced tomato in juice. I opted to use canned tomatoes, just to see if it was any good (and to save my fresh tomatoes in case it was not). Surprisingly it was pretty good. I'd never seen Mrs. Wages anything until a couple weeks ago but there seems to be a pretty big line of stuff. I also smashed up an avocado with salt, pepper, onion and garlic powders.

For the vegetable mixture I heated olive oil in my wok pan [The wok's another beloved kitchen tool I've had for 15 years. My sister Carol gave it to us as a shower gift and after about 10 years it was seasoned well. Now it is perfect and I use it several times a week. Couldn't live without it.] and added Vidalia onion, banana peppers, summer squash (thanks again, Allison!), mushrooms, chili powder and cumin and cooked it all until the vegetables were tender, but not squishy.

To assemble I spread some beans (which I had smashed and added a bit of water to when reheating) on the tostada, then the vegetable mixture, salsa, lettuce and tomato, sour cream and guacamole. I totally forgot about getting the cheese out, but we really didn't miss it.

Tacos and tostadas seem way more rich and caloric than they really are, and you get a ton of fresh vegetables in every serving. Almost virtuous!


No comments: