Wednesday, April 9, 2008

You realize your fantasies are/dressed up in travesties/enjoy yourself with no regrets

I'm not in the habit of documenting it when someone says something nice about or appreciative of me. Everyone, of course, loves compliments, and I'm no exception, but even if you greatly appreciate the sentiment, you don't necessarily write it down or think about it later or share it with anyone else. Well, today I'm going to throw modesty (or whatever you want to call it) to the wind.

A friend with whom I have an intimate, albeit primarily written, relationship told me something extraordinary today. In a small discussion about my tendency to conversationally be, um, too much for some people, he said this: "You're like a sun...and too much exposure burns them up...now me...I like it when it gets hot."

An offhand comment maybe, but since it was in writing I guess it took on more gravitas than if it had merely been spoken. Whatever the intent, I consider it one of the best things anyone has ever said about me. It struck me dumb for a moment. Like a sun. Damn.

In a string of days in which my workplace has made me feel like I'm in a place where my personality is completely unwanted, it was extra sweet to be reminded that I don't rub everyone the wrong way, and in fact, a few people do like me for me.

So thank you, T.Rex.

2 comments:

Allison said...

Well, I like the warmth of the sun also, even though I've been under a rock for the past million months!
It's estate sale season! Are we on?

Unknown said...

Allison! Where've you been? I've been waiting waiting waiting for the next diary entry. What's going on with you and Matt? We've been mostly hibernating.

Estates sales, yeah! Unfortunately, I mostly work on weekend mornings, but we'll figure something out very soon!